From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] External hard drive and idle activity
Date: Mon, 03 Aug 2020 12:35:46
1 On Mon, Aug 3, 2020 at 8:24 AM Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > In the past, I've never seen the drive on the larger files be that slow even toward the end. Generally, it stays pretty close to 180MBs/sec or so which is what I usually get with PMR drives.
4
5 Yeah, just hard to be certain without ditching the filesystem layer or
6 doing some kind of comparison. The difference in write speed across
7 the drive on recent drives I've gotten is more pronounced than I've
8 seen on other drives, but these drives tend to be around 12TB.
9
10 Definitely the thing to watch out for is a big drop in transfer rate
11 once a large number of blocks have been transferred continuously, and
12 then performance returns after you let the drive thrash for a while.
13 I've seen complaints of zfs rebuilds going from hours/days to
14 weeks/months in length, so it isn't just a 50% drop when you're doing
15 worst-case access patterns. On the other hand I hear that mdadm isn't
16 so bad, so if the writes are sequential the drive might be better at
17 skipping the cache, and maybe zfs just does its rebuild
18 non-sequentially (which isn't really ideal anyway).
19
20 I haven't really dug into the guts of how zfs metadata works, but with
21 btrfs I believe the chunks are basically their own layer, and the
22 filesystem can scrub them without really any care about what files are
23 stored in them. That allows them to be easily scrubbed sequentially.
24 When I did rebuilds on btrfs they tended to run at about the max
25 throughput of the drives as long as there wasn't any other access
26 going on. It can also do read-only scrubs to check data integrity
27 sequentially across the disk, which suggests the checksums are stored
28 at a lower layer and so the data can be verified without worrying
29 about file fragmentation and so on. This layering also lets btrfs
30 switch "RAID modes" on the fly with half of the disk being RAID1 and
31 half the disk being RAID5 and so on - each region of a disk is
32 independent from the others and so mode changes only impact new
33 regions until you do a full rebalance to rewrite everything. Of
34 course, zfs has its own advantages.
37 Rich