From: Florian Philipp <lists@×××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Which desktop antivirus?
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2011 11:45:15
1 Am 22.10.2011 13:29, schrieb Nilesh Govindarajan:
2 > On Sat 22 Oct 2011 04:57:33 PM IST, Mick wrote:
3 >> Hi All,
4 >>
5 >> I'm asked for a desktop antivirus (the box is running KDE) but I have never
6 >> used an antivirus on Linux. This page that I googled up shows a number of
7 >> them:
8 >>
9 >> http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/free-linux-antivirus-programs/
10 >>
11 >> Meanwhile, portage only lists clamav under app-antivirus/.
12 >>
13 >> The machine in question is running kmail to receive/send messages from ISP
14 >> mail servers and ssmtp to send log messages for relaying via said ISP.
15 >>
16 >> What have you tried and what would you recommend for such a desktop setup?
17 >
18 > IMHO, you don't need antivirus on a Linux box, unless you're going to
19 > run a mail relay, where you are responsible for saving recipents from
20 > viruses.
21
22 I agree. Check that your ISP performs virus checks. If not or if you
23 want to be extra sure, I think kmail can work with clamav -- at least it
24 could in the old 3.x days when I still used it.
25
26 > The simplest reason of all is, Linux doesn't know how to execute
27 > Windows binaries.
30 Well, this is an oversimplification.
31 1) Any box running Wine is possibly as exposed to your classic
32 pretty-women.exe mail attachments as any windows systems.
33 2) You should also be worried about Open/LibreOffice macro viruses as
34 well as PDF vulnerabilities. Not to forget Flash, Java or Mozilla based
35 exploits.
36
37 Still, keeping your system up-to-date and observing the freshly revived
38 GLSA notifications is more likely to save your butt than clamav.
39
40 Cheers,
41 Florian Philipp