From: Bill Longman <bill.longman@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] genkernel without oldconfig
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2010 15:01:44
1 On 08/15/2010 05:32 PM, Daniel D Jones wrote:
2 > On Sunday, August 15, 2010 12:45:06 Marc Joliet wrote:
3 >> Am Sun, 15 Aug 2010 12:15:57 -0400
4 >>
5 >> schrieb Daniel D Jones <ddjones@××××××××××××.org>:
6 >>> Is there any way to run genkernel without it running the oldconfig
7 >>> command? I can work around the issue by saving my .config file to a
8 >>> different name, then using --xconfig and loading the saved file but it
9 >>> would be nice to just tell it not to alter the existing .config file.
10 >>> It may be that I'm just missing it but man pages and Google have not
11 >>> provided a solution.
12 >>
13 >> Yes, the configuration file has an appropriate option:
14 >>
15 >> # Run 'make oldconfig' before compiling this kernel?
16 >> OLDCONFIG="no"
17 >>
18 >> HTH
19 >
20 > It did indeed help. I was looking for a command line argument. Didn't even
21 > think of the config file. Thank you!
22
23 I've never seen this before, either. Thanks for the tip, Marc.
24
25 Daniel, how do you use genkernel? I've found that I need to run "make
26 oldconfig" or, my preference, "make silentoldconfig" by hand before I
27 ever use genkernel. I copy my old .config to the new kernel directory,
28 run silentoldconfig, then I run genkernel. Is that the problem you're
29 facing or do you see changes between invocations of genkernel?