From: pk <peterk2@××××××××.se>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Trying to block third party ip address with iptables... [SOLVED]
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2008 17:06:37
1 Tony Stohne wrote:
2
3 > Yes, putting the domain/IP address in the host file works, but has the
4 > negative side effect of being slower (at least if your host file is big.
5 > Parsing a big hosts file slows down networking overall because of the parsing
6 > process. If the file is small/short it's not a big problem). With TCP reset,
7
8 My hosts file is quite short; only two rows, currently.
9
10 > it's a lot quicker. If You want to block lots of ads/banner domains and/or
11 > malware/porn sites it's usually more efficient to use TCP reset, within reason
12 > of course... huge iptables blocks tend to slow things down as well unless You
13 > use IPset (an extension of iptables). Shorewall actually supports IPset, if
14 > You have those extensions compiled in Your kernel...
15 >
16 > IPset is a means of creating hashes for one or more address blocks or
17 > addresses, which speeds things up quite a lot.
18 >
19 > See http://ipset.netfilter.org/ and
20 >
21 > http://www.shorewall.net/ipsets.html
22 >
23 > BTW, Gentoo supports IPsets - in Portage it's under net-firewall/ipset but
24 > You have to recompile Your kernel, which may be too much work for You since
25 > we're discussing one domain/IP address in this case.
26
27 Nice tip! Thanks!
28
29 > Have a nice Sunday :)
30
31 Well, I'll be cooking meals for the coming work week so I'll be having
32 fun... ;-)
33
34 > I surely will as I'm watching F1 at Monza right now :)
35
36 Sounds great, although not really my cup of tea. :-)
39 Best regards
40
41 Peter K