From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] mysqld invoked oom-killer
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2011 00:53:11
1 >> So swap isn't treated exactly like RAM.  It actually has special
2 >> handling in Linux which makes it beneficial to have on almost any
3 >> Linux system?  According to Alan, things get very bad when a Linux
4 >> system hits swap.  How can behavior like this be beneficial:
5 >>
6 >> "When a linux machine hits swap, it does so very aggressively, there
7 >> is nothing nice about it at all. The entire machine slows to a
8 >> painstaking crawl for easily a minute at a time while the kernel
9 >> writes pages out to disk, and disk is thousands of times slower than
10 >> RAM.
11 >>
12 >> It gets so bad that you can't even run a shell properly to try and see
13 >> what's going on and kill the actual memory hog."
14 >>
15 >> Also, aren't you likely to wear out your hard disk sooner using swap?
18 > 1. swap is good. Unless you have a good reason, leave it there. You do not
19 > have a good reason to remove it and neither does anyone else.
20 >
21 > 2. Don't use the swap that you have. It's slow. It is not a replacement for
22 > RAM.
23 >
24 > 3. If you use a little bit of swap, 100-200MB, that's fine. It's also a sign
25 > you need more RAM.
26 >
27 > 4. If you're using all your RAM and a couple of GB of swap, you're screwed.
28 > Avoid this.
29 >
30 > 5. Swap that you never write to or read from never needs to hit the drives.
31 > If you're worried about drive wear, turn off logging.
32 >
33 > kashani
34
35 OK, how about I enable a 512MB swap file and keep an eye on it. As
36 long as I'm not using more than 200MB, I'm not suffering from disk
37 swap slowdown, right?
38
39 - Grant