From: Adam Carter <adamcarter3@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] microcode applied?
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2018 05:41:25
1 On Mon, Jan 8, 2018 at 3:55 PM, Max Zettlmeißl <max@×××××××××××.de> wrote:
2
3 > > The contents of cpuinfo is the same as the messages in dmesg. What does
4 > that
5 > > imply?
6 >
7 > Your BIOS or EFI might already install the same version or a later
8 > version than what the microcode package provides. Although the second
9 > case is highly unlikely.
10 > The update might also just not get applied properly.
11 >
12 > You should check whether the actual microcode version is the version
13 > which you expect.
14 >
15 > How are you trying to apply the microcode?
16 > The best way to update your processor's microcode is via early
17 > microcode loading.
18 > You can either use an initrd or build the microcode into your kernel
19 > image. I prefer the latter.
22 Yes the microcode is in the the kernel. Equivalent config works fine on
23 another machine.
24
25 The problem could be;
26 The firmware from /lib/firmware is that same as that on the system, so its
27 not required
28 The firmware loaded successfully, but didnt write a success log
29 The firmware failed to load (and didnt write a failure log, but we dont
30 expect it to)
31
32 Since I dont know where look up firmware version numbers i'm in the dark.