From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Optional /usr merge in Gentoo
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2013 21:06:12
1 On Mon, 26 Aug 2013 19:30:05 +0200, Joerg Schilling wrote:
2
3 > > The licensing conflict means that would not be possible. You have the
4 > > install the kernel source and then merge in the ZFS source yourself,
5 > > it can't be done for you and distributed.
6 >
7 > Why do you believe this?
8 >
9 > ZFS id doubtlessly an own "work" independent from the rest of the Linux
10 > kernel and for this reason, adding ZFS just creates a collective work
11 > that is not affected by the GPL.
12
13 But the CCDL licence of ZFS precludes its being distributed with the
14 kernel. At least, that's how I understand it and the fact that no distro
15 distributes a ZFS-enabled kernel makes me believe it is true.
19 Neil Bothwick
20
21 Friends come and friends go, but enemies accumulate.