From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Can't boot btrfs
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2015 10:45:04
1 On Fri, Jul 31, 2015 at 5:35 AM, Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > menuentry 'Gentoo Linux 4.0.5, no network' {
3 > linux /boot/kernel-x86_64-4.0.5-gentoo root=/dev/sda3 softlevel=nonet
4 > net.ifnames=0 irqpoll
5 > }
6
7 As Neil already pointed out, if you're not using an initramfs you need
8 to put all your devices on this line if they're part of an array. The
9 kernel will not scan to find the others.
10
11 If you do use an initramfs you really should use a UUID or label
12 instead of a device name, but a device name will work as long as it
13 happens to not get reordered on you.
16 > The other thing I've tried is to build an initramfs with dracut. I tried to
17 > include its btrfs module but it refused because it couldn't find a command
18 > btrfs. So I recompiled the kernel with btrfs as a module and added
19 > 'filesystems+="btrfs" ' into dracut.conf. Still no success.
22 Do you have btrfs-utils installed? Dracut should work fine with btrfs
23 built into the kernel natively or as a module, though if you want to
24 boot directly it will have to be native (which is one of the reasons
25 most distros always use an initramfs - they want a modular kernel but
26 can't predict what your root is running on).
27
28 I believe that as long as dracut can find the btrfs utility it will
29 put it in the initramfs.
30
31 Otherwise there isn't much more to this - I think these two issues are
32 the only real problems you're having, depending on which route you
33 decide to take with the initramfs (which I still recommend, but you
34 could of course have separate grub lines to boot with and without it
35 if you want to experiment).
38 Rich