From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Email clients - what can replace Evolution?
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 05:09:22
1 Hi all,
2 I've got a machine that will no longer run Evolution. For whatever
3 reason all versions of Evolution in Portage crash. I cannot as of yet
4 get a backtrace to determine why. Even if I could a fast solution
5 would depend on other folks seeing what's wrong and telling me how to
6 fix it by recompiling some library or something. I cannot be sure if
7 or even when that might happen so my user needs to move on. He's been
8 without access to his email for about 10 days and is fed up waiting
9 for me to fix it.
10
11 The question is how to move forward. Is there any other Linux email
12 client that can pick up where Evolution has failed him? I know nothing
13 about how Evolution stores mail, contact lists, etc. so I don't know
14 what he might be able to use. What is the KDE mail client? Can
15 Thunderbird look at Evolution files?
16
17 I spent some time going through the online Portage database but
18 nothing seemed obvious so I hoped to hear about an app to try out
19 here.
20
21 In parallel I can try something like emerge -e world. Maybe I'll
22 get lucky? ;-)
23
24 Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.
25
26 Cheers,
27 Mark
28 --