From: David W Noon <dwnoon@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Anyone Else "Ping-Ponging" with fltk?
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 12:18:07
1 On Thu, 29 Mar 2012 11:33:50 +0200, Willie WY Wong wrote about Re:
2 [gentoo-user] Anyone Else "Ping-Ponging" with fltk?:
3
4 > On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 05:43:00PM +0100, Penguin Lover David W Noon
5 > squawked:
6 > > In that case, the source of the breakage is almost certainly
7 > > Portage.
8 > >
9 > > If a slotted package is in the world file without a slot
10 > > specification, Portage should really take that to mean "all
11 > > installed slots are required" rather than "any slot will do" -- or,
12 > > worse still, ignore the world entry and fall back to package
13 > > dependencies.
14 >
15 > I disagree. Portage has always been very clear about this: atoms
16 > without slot or version specification means precisely **any
17 > slot/version will do**.
18
19 In that case, it is a design flaw in Portage.
20
21 > The behaviour is entirely consistent between
22 > the command line, ebuilds, the world and set files, as well as other
23 > things in the profile (per package use flag and keyword
24 > specifications).
25
26 When I set a flag in package.use without a version specification, it
27 applies to *all* versions of that package that support that use flag.
28 I have been doing this for quite some years for several slotted
29 packages, e.g. wxWidgets.
30
31 When I manually stabilize a package in package.accept_keywords without
32 a version specification, *all* unmasked versions of that package become
33 stable. I do this for only one package: paludis.
34 --
35 Regards,
36
37 Dave [RLU #314465]