From: jdm <jdm@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Black Screen of Death
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2019 22:28:34
1 Hi,
2
3 For the last 2 months I have been getting a problem where my machine
4 locks and after 2 seconds goes to a black screen. The machine is then
5 unusable, ctrl-alt-delete F1 or sys rescue keys do not work and you
6 cannot remote login.
7
8 I initially thought this was a problem with lxd but then experienced
9 issue when just using Enlightenment desktop. I have switched to xfce4
10 but still getting issue.
11
12 It happens 2 to 3 times a week.
13
14 There is nothing in logs (/var/log/messages).
15
16 I upgraded BIOS a beginning of year so don't think it's that but have
17 just upgraded again to see if that helps.
18
19 Running ASUS Prime x470 Prime with ryzen 2700 and have upgraded kernel
20 to latest stable when running emerge --update...
21
22 Any idea on how to debug an issue like this?
23
24 I do dual boot with Windows and have not had this issue there so feels
25 like a Linux issue. Playing some quite intensive games on Windows but
26 last lock up on Linux was opening a terminal.
27
28 Any advice or guidance would be much appreciated.
29
30 John