From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] libav and ffmpeg on the same computer issue once again
Date: Sun, 17 May 2015 14:45:55
1 On Sat, 16 May 2015 08:57:15 -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
2
3 > > Does that include the several lines of comments, often repeated, that
4 > > portage includes in the auto-unmask output? I just checked two systems
5 > > for abi_x86_32 and got around 130 lines in one and 220 in the other.
6 >
7 > Yes, it does. The number of actual configuration lines is much
8 > smaller of course - probably 1/5th of the total.
9 >
10 > My point wasn't so much that this was an inordinate number of 32-bit
11 > packages, given my list of installed packages. It was more about the
12 > fact that on a system that I'm trying to keep fairly minimal other
13 > than my explicit preferences I end up with a huge config file that
14 > tends to mix my preferences with a lot of stuff that exists solely to
15 > satisfy the depgraph. It would be like sticking every package I
16 > install in my world set.
17
18 Oh, I agree. If portage needs this stuff set, it should keep it separate
19 from my choices, somewhere like /var/lib/portage/package.use.
20
21 > There are some ways around this which I'll probably get around to on a
22 > rainy day:
23 >
24 > 1. Take better advantage of the fact that package.use can be a
25 > directory and have several files. The 32-bit flags would go in their
26 > own file.
27
28 Yes, that's how I do it. I usually group entries according to the program
29 that I use, so a flag for a dependency goes in with the settings for the
30 program requiring that dependency. That way, if I remove the program I
31 can simply remove the single file for package.use. For the abi_x86 flags,
32 though, I keep them in their own file, so those settings are not mixed in
33 with my settings, although they really shouldn't be in the same directory.
34
35 > Autounmask goes in a separate file with a z at the start of
36 > the name and the intent is that lines in this file get moved to the
37 > appropriate files.
38
39 That one through me for a while, until I bothered to RTFM, portage always
40 adds auto-unmasked entries to the last file in the directory.
41
42 > 2. What I'd really like to get to is a point where all my systems are
43 > defined by ansible configs or the like. I've already started
44 > container-izing many of my services to cut down on interactions - this
45 > way when I do random package updates I'm not dealing with mysql
46 > breaking or apache or whatever. However, this increases the amount of
47 > updating I have to do, and I'd like to bring that back down using a
48 > tool like ansible.
49
50 That sounds an interesting approach.
54 Neil Bothwick
55
56 I used to have a handle on life, then it broke.