From: Rumen Yotov <rumen_yotov@×××.bg>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] use of /usr/src/linux symlink
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2005 17:41:28
1 On Tue, 2005-11-08 at 17:18 +0000, Digby Tarvin wrote:
2 > Something which I havn't found any explicit elaboration of in the
3 > documentation...
4 >
5 > The convention in the Linux/gentoo filesystem seems to be to have a unique
6 > directory for each installed kernel in /usr/src, with a symbolic link to
7 > the 'current' kernel directory named /usr/src/linux..
8 >
9 > The question is - is this just a user convenience, or will parts of
10 > the system break if it is not maintained correctly?
11 >
12 > The reason I ask is that if I have several kernels which I have configured
13 > grub to allow me to select from at boot time, where should this symlink
14 > point? The newest kernel? An experimental one being worked on? The one most
15 > recently booted from. If the latter case then it is likely to be wrong for
16 > a finite period following boot until the system has come up far enough to
17 > allow me to update it.
18 >
19 > Anyone know what is likely to break (if anything) if I boot from a kernel
20 > other than the one which corresponds to the directory /usr/src/linux points
21 > to, and neglect to update the link? Does it direct (for instance) the target
22 > directory for an emerge of new kernel components? Or does it perhaps have to
23 > point to the kernel being built during any recompile?
24 >
25 > Regards,
26 > DigbyT
27 > --
28 > Digby R. S. Tarvin digbyt@××××××.com
29 > http://www.digbyt.com
30 Hi,
31 There seems to exist at least two current kernels - one is the kernel to
32 which /usr/src/linux points, this one is used by most (all ?)
33 kernel-module programs (i have 3 of them: nvidia, arpstar, loop-aes; had
34 also alsa-driver). When you compile/recompile any one of them they use
35 the kernel sources pointed by /usr/src/linux. Patch kernel sources too
36 (e.g. "l7-filter").
37 The second kernel is your running kernel (available by "uname -r") this
38 one is the one actually running at any givenn time. Don't have any
39 examples of something using this one. Anybody here?
40 HTH.Rumen