From: Raffaele BELARDI <raffaele.belardi@××.com>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] news 2021-01-30-display-manager-init -- blocked package
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 2021 08:39:38
1 ST Restricted
2
3 > -----Original Message-----
4 > From: Kusoneko <kusoneko@××××××××.moe>
5 > Sent: Sunday, January 31, 2021 05:02
6 > To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
7 > Cc: Kusoneko <kusoneko@××××××××.moe>
8 > Subject: [gentoo-user] news 2021-01-30-display-manager-init -- blocked
9 > package
12 > Following my daily syncing today, 2 news items appeared, the important
13 > one for this being the following:
14 >
15 > 2021-01-30-display-manager-init
16 >
17 > It states that starting the next xorg-server version, the xdm init
18 > script will be removed and that one install gui-libs/display-manager-init to replace it.
19 > Following the instructions to install said package leads to a
20 > wonderful error stating that the package is blocked by the following packages:
21 >
22 > x11-apps/xinit-1.4.1
23 > sys-apps/sysvinit-2.98
24 > x11-base/xorg-server-1.20.10
25 >
26 > Removing xorg-server is not gonna happen, so looking at what emerge
27 > says, there's a bit of an issue here:
28 >
29 > https://zifb.in/GUtgto4VcX
30 >
31 > Doing the required update is currently impossible.
32 >
33 > I am definitely not gonna remember about this in a week or 2 so I'd
34 > like to deal with whatever this issue is asap. Is there any way to do this?
35 >
36 > Note: all 3 of the blocking packages and whatever pulls them in are
37 > NOT using the ~amd64 keyword at the moment, except for nvidia-drivers.
38 >
39 > Thanks for any help,
40 > Kusoneko.
41
42 You already solved, so this is just for other's info: in my case (unstable amd64) I saw the news item, tried to emerge display-manager-init, got your same block, let the emerge run to completion and _then_ succeeded emerging display-manager-init, which is now running happily at startup.
43
44 raffaele