From: felix@×××××××.com
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] backing up system files
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2012 19:19:13
1 On Sun, Dec 02, 2012 at 03:29:58PM -0500, Philip Webb wrote:
2 > My recently-built machine has an SSD for everyday storage
3 > + an HDD for less often used stuff + back-ups (in dir /y ).
4 > To avoid having to re-install the system if the SSD collapses one day,
5 > I wanted to make a simple back-up copy of vital files on the HDD.
6
7 I recently installed an SSD to replace three SCSI drives and changed
8 my backup at the same time to work llike this. But I just do
9 everything except /home, /encfs, the mail spool dir, etc. I also use
10 a spare IDE drive for a system backup which I manually rsync before a
11 big emerge, so I can boot the backup if the main system no longer
12 boots due to emerge screwup. I have some other changes to make before
13 testing this.
14
15 What I haven't figured out yet is how to reverse rsync the backup to
16 the main system. Rsync has no --source-is-always-right option that I
17 could find. "cp -a" might work, with a little care for /dev etc, but
18 it won't delete destination files which aren't in the backup, and the
19 idea of reformatting the system partition as part of this seems a bit
20 extreme when rsync is the natural choice for restoring the backup.
24 Felix Finch: scarecrow repairman & rocket surgeon / felix@×××××××.com
25 GPG = E987 4493 C860 246C 3B1E 6477 7838 76E9 182E 8151 ITAR license #4933
26 I've found a solution to Fermat's Last Theorem but I see I've run out of room o