From: Alan Grimes <ALONZOTG@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] getting increasingly worried about this.
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2018 16:49:05
1 I'm now running my update script daily (on a SSD...)
2
3 KDE is still profoundly broken.
4 Steam still doesn't work. -- might be fixed by a reboot but can't reboot
5 due to dependence on kde packages...
6
7 Today I get
8 [ebuild   R    ] dev-lang/spidermonkey-52.9.1_pre1:52::gentoo
9 USE="custom-cflags system-icu -custom-optimization -debug -minimal
10 {-test} (-jit%*)" 0 KiB
13 I can't read the syntax there up around jit, clearly it is disabled for
14 some platform reason even though it is enabled in make.conf and even,
15 for some packages, in profile...
16
17 OK.
18
19 Then it barfs. (unsurprisingly)
20
21 The vomit reads like the developer turned on warnings for many things he
22 wanted to pretend to want to fix but never fixed them...
23
24 Anyway, It gets all the way to the install phase and it dies because:
25
26  * ERROR: dev-lang/spidermonkey-52.9.1_pre1::gentoo failed (install phase):
27  *   USE Flag 'jit' not in IUSE for dev-lang/spidermonkey-52.9.1_pre1
28
29 and I'm like FU, asshole. The flag is enabled, you disabled it, -- just
30 run in interpreted mode for chrissake!
33 And then we get to the perennial fails, fails that have been broken FOR
34 YEARS, and are breaking really super important stuff like Xine, the best
35 media player for Linux...
36
37 ├── dev-libs
38 │   ├── libcdio-2.0.0-r1
39 │   └── libcdio-paranoia-0.94_p2
40
41 ├── media-sound
42 │   └── playmidi-2.5-r2
43
44 What?!?!?! I'm not allowed to play midi files on linux anymore either? =(
47 I really want to like the recent package cleanups, I really do, but
48 seriously, the distribution is severely broken right now. I mean keyword
49 [platform] is much too conservative to be usable... But then keyword
50 ~[platform] should be Stable Enough -- as it has been for over a
51 decade... Can we please stop breaking stuff until these things are
52 working again???
56 Please report bounces from this address to atg@×××××××××.com
57
58 Powers are not rights.