From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Waaaaaay [OT] Windoze back-up. Sorry to ask. :-(
Date: Wed, 03 May 2006 19:39:40
1 On 02/05/06, Teresa and Dale <teendale@×××××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > Mick wrote:
3 >
4 > >They're both free and should do the job you want. Personally, I use Knoppix
5 > >and partimage, but there are other linux tools (down to the relatively basic
6 > >dd command) which should do the trick on a VFAT partition.
7 >
8 > Crap, I forgot and used NTFS on the thing. < sighs > I wonder if the
9 > newer kernel will write safely yet????
10
11 Sorry, I didn't explain it appropriately. Partimage works fine (after
12 a you thoroughly defragment an NTFS partition) and will create a nice
13 compressed or uncompressed OS image file which can be saved:
14 1) on CD's/DVD;
15 2) on another computer over the network;
16 3) on another partition on the same machine - the latter cannot be NTFS.
17
18 So, you should have no problem trying it out. After you defragment
19 your NTFS partition, use gparted (it also comes on LiveCD) to shrink
20 it and create a new VFAT, ext2, etc. partition on the same disk to
21 save the image in. Of course, if the disk decides to pack up . . .
22 you better have those duplicate CD's handy! ;-)
23
24 Note: Should you decide to use a VFAT partition beware of its maximum
25 file size limit. Use the Partimage slicing feature to save the image
26 into smaller multiple files.
27 --
28 Regards,
29 Mick