From: Albert Hopkins <marduk@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Server migration
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2008 15:44:48
1 On Mon, 2008-08-11 at 11:31 -0400, Matthew Daubenspeck wrote:
2 > In short, I am working on a server migration going from a physical box
3 > to a virtual system. I pretty much need everything (software-wise)
4 > identical. What is the best way to do that? I was looking at outputting
5 > the data from equery to a file, then emerging everything in that file.
6 > Is there an easier way to do this?
7
8 The easiest thing to do would be to migrate system, P2V, as is. I dont'
9 know what virtual server software you are using, but there are tools to
10 do this (plus with Linux it's easy enough doing manually).
11
12 Aside from that if you actually want to re-build the box from scratch,
13 I'd copy the /etc/make.conf, /etc/portage/* and /var/lib/portage/world
14 file over and, after performing a stageX install, do a "emerge -va `cat
15 world`"
16
17 -a