From: Adam Holisky <linux@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Good reference for installing windows *after* linux?
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 17:38:17
1 In the gentoo guide, you most likely installed the grub bootloader. What you
2 want to do is after installing XP, go back and reload grub onto the master
3 boot rercord (MBR). To do this, use the install disc that you used to setup
4 your gentoo box. The manual has the steps to put grub on the MBR - you don't
5 need to re-emerge it.
6
7 When in the grub config file, you'll also have to add an entry for windows.
8 My working config file is shown below, though i've removed a bunch of entries
9 for different kernel versions I keep around..
10
11 You also want to be very very careful when formating your partions in the XP
12 setup.. it's possible to make a mistake here, and coming from someone who
13 just did that; it's not fun!
14
15 Good luck! - Adam
16
17 #/boot/grub/grub.conf
18 default 0
19 timeout 30
20 splashimage=(hd0,3)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
21
22 title=Inital Kernel (2.6.12-r4)
23 root (hd0,3)
24 kernel (hd0,3)/boot/initalKernel root=/dev/sda4
25
26 title=WindowsXP x64 SP 2
27 root (hd0,0)
28 makeactive