From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] 3D graphics acceleration on QEMU
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2017 23:01:23
1 On Sunday 16 Jul 2017 22:49:54 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Sun, 16 Jul 2017 16:20:15 +0100, Mick wrote:
3 > > Another annoying thing was the bottom of the screen was cropped off and
4 > > to see the main menu and toolbar I have to move the mouse past the
5 > > bottom edge of the window. The visual aperture is smaller than the
6 > > desktop screen size. I don't know if this in anyway related to the
7 > > above warning.
8 >
9 > I see that one regularly, the desktop is 1024x768 but the display is
10 > 1024x720. simply change the display to 1024x720 in Mint's prefs or use a
11 > different video card emulation, such as vmware, by adding "-vga vmware"
12 > to your options.
13
14 Thanks Neil, I'll try this out when I boot it up next time. Meanwhile, I'm
15 not sure if the virtio drivers in the kernel are meant for guest kernels only,
16 or if I should have them enabled on the host's.
17
18 This is the modules I have enabled on the host which is VT-x capable:
19
20 # grep -e DMAR -e IOMMU -e VIRT /usr/src/linux/.config
21 CONFIG_VIRT_CPU_ACCOUNTING=y
22 CONFIG_VIRT_CPU_ACCOUNTING_GEN=y
23 CONFIG_HAVE_VIRT_CPU_ACCOUNTING_GEN=y
24 # CONFIG_GART_IOMMU is not set
25 # CONFIG_CALGARY_IOMMU is not set
26 CONFIG_IOMMU_HELPER=y
27 CONFIG_VIRT_TO_BUS=y
28 CONFIG_VIRTIO_BLK=m
29 CONFIG_VIRTIO_NET=m
30 # CONFIG_VIRTIO_CONSOLE is not set
31 # CONFIG_HW_RANDOM_VIRTIO is not set
32 # CONFIG_DRM_VIRTIO_GPU is not set
33 # CONFIG_FB_VIRTUAL is not set
34 # CONFIG_SND_VIRTUOSO is not set
35 # CONFIG_VIRT_DRIVERS is not set
36 CONFIG_VIRTIO=m
37 # CONFIG_VIRTIO_PCI is not set
38 # CONFIG_VIRTIO_BALLOON is not set
39 # CONFIG_VIRTIO_INPUT is not set
40 # CONFIG_VIRTIO_MMIO is not set
41 CONFIG_IOMMU_API=y
42 CONFIG_IOMMU_SUPPORT=y
43 # Generic IOMMU Pagetable Support
44 CONFIG_IOMMU_IOVA=y
45 # CONFIG_AMD_IOMMU is not set
46 CONFIG_DMAR_TABLE=y
47 CONFIG_INTEL_IOMMU=y
48 CONFIG_INTEL_IOMMU_SVM=y
49 CONFIG_INTEL_IOMMU_DEFAULT_ON=y
50 CONFIG_INTEL_IOMMU_FLOPPY_WA=y
51 # CONFIG_DEBUG_VIRTUAL is not set
52 # CONFIG_IOMMU_STRESS is not set
53 CONFIG_VIRTUALIZATION=y
54
55 The CPU has vmx, but not vmd:
56
57 processor : 7
58 vendor_id : GenuineIntel
59 cpu family : 6
60 model : 30
61 model name : Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU Q 720 @ 1.60GHz
62 stepping : 5
63 microcode : 0x7
64 cpu MHz : 933.000
65 cache size : 6144 KB
66 physical id : 0
67 siblings : 8
68 core id : 3
69 cpu cores : 4
70 apicid : 7
71 initial apicid : 7
72 fpu : yes
73 fpu_exception : yes
74 cpuid level : 11
75 wp : yes
76 flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov
77 pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx rdtscp lm
78 constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl xtopology nonstop_tsc
79 aperfmperf eagerfpu pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx smx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr
80 pdcm sse4_1 sse4_2 popcnt lahf_lm tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid dtherm
81 ida
82 bugs :
83 bogomips : 3191.45
84 clflush size : 64
85 cache_alignment : 64
86 address sizes : 36 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
87 power management:
90 Regards,
91 Mick