From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: kde 4.2.1 sill pulling in 3.5 packages
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 07:05:52
1 On Wednesday 25 March 2009 07:16:03 James wrote:
2 > > Avoiding having kde-3.5 stuff installed is exactly the same as avoiding
3 > > having firefox installed - don't emerge it.
4 >
5 > Yep, I get it, manual_labor.
8 > I was looooooking for a silver bullet,
9 > so I can just auto prevent installing anything that
10 > uses kde 3 *....
11 >
12 > On this system, I install a lot of random software
13 > just to test it out. Sure I can manually check for
14 > any kde 3.5 dependancies, but it would just be
15 > easier to find a way to mask off all kde 3.5, methinks,
16 > and then deal with that exceptional piece of vintage
17 > software on a one off basis....
18
19 OK, I see where you are coming from.
20
21 In that case, I would find a convenient package.keywords in a kde overlay and
22 symlink to it from /etc/portage/package.mask/
23
24 Or, in the gentoo docs for split kde ebuilds there is a longish compound
25 command to find all packages from a previous kde-3 slot and remove them. Adapt
26 that for what you want and redirect the output to a file in package.mask
27
28 Unfortunately, there is no support in portage that I know of to directly mask
29 out a chunk of the tree. You have to fudge it.
32 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com