From: Florian Philipp <lists@××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Problem with new install
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2010 21:03:43
1 Am 15.10.2010 21:23, schrieb Mike Diehl:
2 > On Friday 15 October 2010 11:40:34 am Florian Philipp wrote:
3 >> Am 15.10.2010 19:29, schrieb Mike Diehl:
4 >>> Hi all.
5 >>>
6 >>> I've never had this much trouble with a server before, but I've been
7 >>> pulling my hair out.
8 >>>
9 >>> The install seemed to go well, but when I rebooted it from it's own hard
10 >>> drive, it fails. fsck claims that it can't open /dev/sda3 or that the
11 >>> superblock doesn't describe a valid ext2 filesystem.
12 >
13 >> *All* of the drivers could be too much. There is a generic driver which
14 >> can prevent the "right" driver from taking over. In that case you end up
15 >> with a /dev/hda node and no DMA. Try to deactivate "Generic ATA support"
16 >> = CONFIG_ATA_GENERIC and "generic/default IDE chipset support" =
17 >> CONFIG_IDE_GENERIC.
18 >> I think it is the second option that causes that problem. However, you
19 >> won't need the first option, either.
20 >
21 > I tried this, first without success. I then ran through all combinations of
22 > sda3, sdb3, hda3, hdb3 in /etc/fstab. This didn't work.
23 >
24 >> Instead of your brute-force "yes to all" approach, newer kernels also
25 >> support `make localyesconfig` which takes all modules currently used in
26 >> the running kernel and compiles them into the new kernel. It is very
27 >> helpful when you already have a good but generic kernel like the one on
28 >> your live CD.
29 >
30 > I tried this, next. At least now, I believe I have a viable kernel. But it
31 > still didn't work.
32 >
33 >> If even that doesn't help, it might be possible that the device
34 >> numbering has changed and your hard disk is detected as /dev/sdb or so.
35 >> Try mounting it by UUID (google for it, please).
36 >
37 > I tried this. Only now, fsck.ext2 tells me that it can't resolve the UUID.
38 >
39 > Here is the new fstab:
40 > /dev/sda1 /boot ext2 noauto,noatime 1 2
41 >
42 > UUID=ba7511dd-a5f9-48d8-8102-cf71c08a0c7b / ext2 noatime 0 1
43 >
44 > /dev/sda2 none swap sw 0 0
45 > /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom auto noauto,ro 0 0
46 >
47 > At this point, I'm going to move the drive to a different port on the SATA
48 > chain; shouldn't change anything, but I'm running out of ideas. I'll also
49 > check the BIOS for anything stupid-obvious.
50 >
51 > So, I guess I'm still stuck!
54 Hmm, sounds like a serious problem. I suggest you try to get into an
55 early stage during boot and try to move forward from there. Try to add
56 '1' to the parameters in order to get into single-user mode. You can
57 also try 'init=/bin/bash'.
58
59 There are lots of other options you can try. For a long time, 'noapic'
60 (not 'noapci') was my first candidate for odd boot issues. Take a look
61 at /usr/sr/linux/Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt for more options.
62
63 Also, which kernel sources are you using and which live CD (with which
64 kernel version)? Is there a specific reason why you use ext2 for root?
65 What kind of system do you run, anyway? And, just by chance, you are not
66 using an extremely large (>1TB) drive which might happen to have 4kB
67 blocks instead of 512 B?
68
69 Regards,
70 Florian Philipp