From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: {OT} Allow work from home?
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2016 22:17:59
1 On Fri, 22 Jan 2016 11:51:45 -0800, Grant wrote:
2
3 > > To talk to this computer from another of my machines over ZT I would
4 > > use the 10.252... address. If you tried that address, you'd get
5 > > nowhere as you are not connected to my network.
6
7 > So if 10.252.252.6 were configured as a router, could I join your ZT
8 > network and use iptables to route my example.com 80/443 requests to
9 > 10.252.252.6, thereby granting me access to my web apps which are
10 > configured to only allow your machine's WAN IP?
11
12 You don't need a bridge in a network to join it. If I want you to join
13 it, I give you the network ID and you simply join it, although you can't
14 actually connect to it until I authorise the connection.
15
16 However, if this machine were configured as a bridge, then once you had
17 joined my network you would have access to all of my LAN, rather like an
18 OpenVPN connection. It seems that the man difference between this and a
19 traditional VPN is that all of the setup work is done on the one
20 computer, connecting extra clients is just a matter of connecting them to
21 the network.
22
23 Note that I haven't actually tried this, every machine on my LAN that I
24 want to be able to connect to is running ZT so is directly accessible.
25
26 > Is it possible (easy?) to run your own "core node" and so not interact
27 > with the official core nodes at all?
28
29 It is definitely possible, and you skip the "only ten clients for
30 free" limit as that only applies to using their servers. Once again, it
31 isn't something I've tried yet, but it is on my list of "things to do
32 when I find some time". I'm quite happy using their discovery servers so
33 this would be only an exercise in trying it "because I can".
37 Neil Bothwick
38
39 MUPHRY'S LAW: The principle that any criticism of the writing of others
40 will itself contain at least one grammatical error.