From: Petar Dimitrijevic <petar.dimitrijevic@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Minimal Gentoo installation
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 05:39:02
1 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 00:51:45 +0200, Petar Dimitrijevic wrote:
5 >> I'm not cross compiling. I'm compiling the packages on i686 arch for
6 >> i686 arch.
9 > The C3 is i586 not i686. Compile for i686 and it will crash. I built a
10 > system booting from CF on an Epia board and I used a variation on this
11 > http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-244837.html
12 >
13 The CPU on the boards is VIA Mark CoreFusion™ CPU with 533 MHz core.
14 That is a CPU (I think that is VIA C3 Nemiah which is newer than the C3)
15 with integrated southbridge. I've been running i686 Fedora Core on it
16 (By i686 I mean i686 kernel and few applications compiled by hand for
17 i686 arch).
18
19 I've use to have one or two VIA EPIA boards which could run only i586
20 software.
21 > Using a compressed filesystem lets you fit far more on the card, I had a
22 > MythTV frontend in less than 256MB. This Wiki page may be worth a look
23 > http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Small_Footprint_Gentoo_on_USB
24 >
25 > You can reduce the size of packages by adding nodoc, noman and noinfo to
26 > FEATURES.
30 I'll definitely give it a look but I had bad experience with compressed
31 file systems in the past. I've tried using Slax or any live cd distro
32 for that matter. There are two variations of the board I'm using. One
33 with 128 MB RAM and one with 256 MB RAM. The second one has no problem
34 whatsoever with running compressed filesystems. But the first one is a
35 living nightmare if you try using compressed filesystem. The CPU is slow
36 and in combination with small amount of RAM it's a real killer.
40 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list