From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Dual booting with Windows 10
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2017 11:07:11
1 On Tuesday, 19 September 2017 05:15:46 BST R0b0t1 wrote:
2
3 > Having checked bootctl's documentation it should be changing EFI variables
4 > (it may manage kernels also, I am not entirely sure). Are you sure this
5 > isn't related to the bug Mick mentioned? If it is then I am unsure why
6 > efibootmgr works.
7
8 What, efivars being mounted read-only? Quite sure. If I don't remount them
9 read-write, "bootctl install" refuses to run at all.
10
11 > Now it's fixed (by using something else) and I can't expect you to care,
12 > but I am left perplexed.
13
14 I wonder. Just possibly this is a motherboard or UEFI BIOS problem (or one
15 I've caused it). When I first received the machine I couldn't get grub to
16 install and run, no matter what I tried. That was 18 months ago, since when
17 it's been running apparently happily using bootctl.
20 Regards,
21 Peter.