From: Thanasis <thanasis@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] best practice for kernel mainteneance
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2008 12:49:48
1 on 11/28/2008 11:54 AM Alan McKinnon wrote the following:
2 > On Friday 28 November 2008 10:41:55 Thanasis wrote:
3 >
4 >> Regarding kernel maintenance, mostly from the point of view of security,
5 >> which is the best way to go:
6 >> 1) Having gentoo-sources in /var/lib/portage/world, which would mean the
7 >> sources would be upgraded whenever portage marks a newer version as
8 >> stable (provided someone follows stable)?
9 >> 2) Not having gentoo-sources in /var/lib/portage/world, which would mean
10 >> the sources would be upgraded only as a dependency for some other
11 >> package (which is quite improbable/rare)?
12 >>
13 >> (or, I may be missing something :-) )
16 > Yes, you are missing the entire point.
17 >
18 > Every kernel ebuild is in it's own SLOT so an upgrade will never change
19 > anything that's already there, it gets an entirely new source tree
20 > in /usr/src
23 I knew that. :-)
24 The question is:
25 Am I supposed/ should I upgrade when a new source tree becomes stable?