From: covici@××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] monitor acting strangely when gdm starts
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2011 14:22:30
1 Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > On Friday 18 February 2011 18:37:43 covici@××××××××××.com wrote:
4 > > Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > > > On Friday 18 February 2011 10:35:15 covici@××××××××××.com wrote:
6 > > > > Hi. I have a Nvidia GeFORCE 8400 gs and when I am using the text
7 > > > > console and frame buffer (uvesafb) things are OK, but when I start gdm,
8 > > > > the monitor acts as though it was disconnected altogether. It works
9 > > > > under Windows through a KVM, so I am pretty sure the monitor is OK, but
10 > > > > I don't understand what happens when gdm starts. I have
11 > > > > Nvidia-drivers-260.19.36 but even some earlier versions I try give the
12 > > > > same result. Is my card going or what?
13 > > > >
14 > > > > Any ideas would be appreciated.
15 > > >
16 > > > Have you followed this?
17 > > >
18 > > > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/xorg-config.xml
19 > > >
20 > > > and are you using KMS?
21 > >
22 > > I have not changed the config from working to non-working -- if it will
23 > > help I can post it. I am not sure what kms is -- I use gnome as the
24 > > desktop.
25 >
26 > Have a more considered look at the link I've given. Check the kernel settings
27 > proposed there and take note of the disabling of u/vesa drivers.
28 I cannot do what the guide says -- I have no Nouveau in staging drivers
29 or anywhere it seems. Maybe in newer kernels than the one I am using,
30 but I want to get this one back to working first.
31
32 One thing that I found in my logs which might help is the following:
33
34 Feb 17 22:29:07 ccs kernel: NVRM: Xid (0001:00): 53, CMDre 00000000
35 00000080 00000000 00000005 00000005
36 Feb 17 22:29:49 ccs last message repeated 7 times
37
38 Thanks.
42 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
43 How do
44 you spend it?
45
46 John Covici