From: "Fabián Lema" <fabian.lema@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Problems with udev and network cards changing device name
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2007 14:25:15
1 On 3/22/07, Jonathan Gill <jonathan.gill@××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > Hi.
3 >
4 > Ive got a weird problem here and hoping someone can give me a solution,
5 > or point me to some docs that show how to resolve this.
6 >
7 > I have a system that I have built that I use as a base for all my other
8 > boxes. (think stage 4)
9 >
10 > I tar it up, boot the new box on a livecd, and untar it after mounting
11 > up the drive on /mnt/gentoo
12 >
13 > To tar it up, I boot on a live cd, mount the partitions as needed (root
14 > and boot) and then tar with cjpf the whole thing.
15 >
16 > Once ive set the bootloader up and rebooted, it moves the network cards
17 > from eth0 and eth1 to eth2 and eth3 (and its just moved them to eth4 and
18 > eth5 on a new installation!)
19 >
20 > What can I do to make sure it comes up as eth0 and eth1 each time?
23 I use a similar procedure to install many computers with same hardware
24 (just use dd instead of tar), and had the same problem. Then I find
25 that setting
26
27 RC_COLDPLUG="no"
28
29 in /etc/conf.d/rc.conf disables the use of
30 /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-???-rules so the hardware is detected
31 again on boot. Then you can enable COLDPLUG safely.
32 --
33 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list