From: 7v5w7go9ub0o <7v5w7go9ub0o@×××××.com>
To: for list <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Fast checksumming of whole partitions
Date: Sun, 06 Jun 2010 19:03:38
1 On 06/05/10 16:11, Manuel Klemenz wrote:
2 > I'm calculating checksums over partitions just by calling # md5sum
3 > /dev/sda1 or for the complete disk (incl. partition table + all
4 > partitions) # md5sum /dev/sda
5 >
6 > that's it :) - works with any distro/liveDVD
9 Yep...... don't have to fool with an oddball program (dcfldd). So if
10 you're dd'ing a disk, you need to:
11
12 1. dd the source to the destination.
13 2. md5sum the source
14 3. md5sum the destination.
15
16 (3 passes on a big disk(s) takes a long time.)
17
18 But if you use dcfldd instead of dd for the copy, then you'll get both
19 the copy and the md5 on the first pass.
20
21 1. dcfldd the source to the destination; get the md5.
22 2. md5sum the destination.
23
24 And if you use dcfldd instead of md5sum to run the destination hash, you
25 can specify a large (e.g. 4 gig) blocksize - cutting back on disk I/O,
26 wear and tear, and time required to hash the destination.