From: Michael Orlitzky <michael@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Portage 2.2
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2013 15:26:45
1 On 07/24/2013 09:27 AM, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 >
3 > I think it's the former. But I've been known to be wrong on things
4 > (lately, more often than not...)
5 >
6 > Just looked on The Google, and there's no consensus I can find. Best
7 > advice seems to be that union and difference are equal precedence so the
8 > expression is evaluated left to right.
9 >
10 > Hence it's the former :-)
11
12 You can rewrite (A \\ B) as (A && !B), giving you one less case to worry
13 about.
14
15 But, some people (most notably, programming languages) assign a higher
16 priority to intersection (&&) than they do to union (||). Of course,
17 mathematically, they should probably have the same priority, so many
18 people do the left-to-right thing.
19
20 So in practice, you'd better use parentheses if you want anyone to know
21 WTF you're talking about.