From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Separate instances of Firefox require separate profiles
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2014 08:34:53
1 Walter Dnes wrote:
2 > I vaguely remember a while ago, somebody on this list asked about
3 > running separate instances of Firefox. I finally figured out how to run
4 > separate instances of Firefox, as ***COMPLETELY SEPARATE PROCESSES***.
5 > Namely, that you need ***A SEPARATE PROFILE FOR EACH INSTANCE***. Let's
6 > start with 2 profiles "trusted" and "default". From the command line,
7 > execute the following commands...
8 >
9 > firefox -new-instance -P trusted &
10 > firefox -new-instance -P default &
11 > ps -ef | grep firefox
12 >
13 > You won't need the "&" if you launch from a desktop or window-manager
14 > launcher. In the above example, I launched 2 instances of Firefox, and
15 > verified their existance by running "ps -ef | grep firefox".
16 >
17 > So if you have some sites that you visit regularly, you can have a
18 > separate profile for each one. This has some advantages...
19 >
20 > 1) You can have totally different customized setups (including different
21 > add-ons) for each site.
22 >
23 > 2) Profiles, including cookies, are stored in separate directories.
24 > Therefore third-party cookies left by trackers when you're on site A
25 > using profile A, will not be readable by the same third-party when
26 > you're on site B, using profile B, making tracking you more difficult
27 > and less reliable... one... two... three... aaaaawwwwwww.
28 >
29 > 3) If you have a whole bunch of websites open, and one of them crashes
30 > Firefox, or hangs it so you need to kill it, you don't end up taking
31 > down all your browsers.
34 That I think was me. Also, if you close one and it doesn't die
35 correctly, you can use this little trick, as a script in my case, to
36 find the process for each one that is running.
37
38 ls -al /home/<user name here>/.mozilla/firefox/*/lock
39
40 For example, on mine it returns this, name somewhat edited:
41
42 root@fireball / # /root/firefox
43 ls -al /home/dale/.mozilla/firefox/*/lock
44
45 lrwxrwxrwx 1 dale users 16 Jun 22 22:57
46 /home/dale/.mozilla/firefox/4p9tgzd5.MOD/lock -> 127.0.0.1:+28060
47 lrwxrwxrwx 1 dale users 16 Jun 22 22:53
48 /home/dale/.mozilla/firefox/ar78vn2c.default/lock -> 127.0.0.1:+27753
49 lrwxrwxrwx 1 dale users 16 Jun 22 23:58
50 /home/dale/.mozilla/firefox/hmnj07pv.Greet staff/lock -> 127.0.0.1:+31137
51 root@fireball / #
52
53 Notice the process number on the end? If say I close the default but it
54 doesn't die as it should, I can do this:
58 The other processes are still running. Also, if it is dead but it
59 didn't remove the lock file, just use rm instead of ls and remove the
60 options of course.
61
62 Hope that helps you as much as it did me. ;-)
63
64 Dale
65
69 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!