From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Advice/best practices for a new Gentoo installation
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2010 10:03:42
1 Paul Hartman writes:
2
3 > - utilizing device labels and/or volume labels instead of hoping
4 > /dev/sda stays /dev/sda always
5
6 Good idea. Or use LVM.
7
8 > - better partitioning scheme than my current root, boot, home (need
9 > portage on its own, maybe /var as well?)
10
11 I like to have many partitions. When my /usr/portage/distfiles or /tmp
12 gets full, I do not want this to affect my system.
13
14 > - some kind of small linux emergency/recovery partition? equivalent to
15 > a liveCD maybe.
16
17 Maybe, but a liveCD is also fine and can be used elsewhere, too.
18
19 > - best filesystem for portage? something compressed or with small
20 > cluster size maybe.
21
22 I think reiserfs with the notail option is recommended.
23
24 > - omit/reduce number of reserved-for-root blocks on partitions where
25 > it's not necessary.
26
27 I reduce it for large partitions, but do not set it to 0 in order to
28 prevent fragmentation.
29
30 > - I have never used LVM and don't really know about it. Should I use
31 > it? will it make life easier someday? or more difficult?
32
33 A little more difficult in the first place, until you get used to it. But
34 if you need to change things later, it makes this much easier. /var is too
35 small? Well, enter lvresize -L +1G /dev/myvg/var && resize2fs
36 /dev/myvg/var and you have 1G more of space after half a minute. No need
37 to take the system down, boot a rescue system and use parted.
38
39 Short how-to:
40 - create some partitions you will use for LVM (/dev/sda[56789])
41 - make them physical volumes: pvcreate /dev/sda[56789]
42 - make them a volume group: vgcreate myvg /dev/sda[56789]
43 - create logical volumes: lvcreate -L 5G -n usr myvg (/usr partition)
44 - create file system: mke2fs -j -L usr /dev/myvg/usr
45
46 > - Is RAID5 still a good balance for disk cost vs usable space vs data
47 > safety? I can't/don't want to pay for full mirroring of all disks.
48
49 Probably, if you need RAID. But I'd say RAID is not a real backup, so you
50 would need even more disks space for that. I prefer to use a 2nd disk for
51 backups I make frequently with rdiff-backup. They have the same structure
52 as the original, only that each partition has an additional 'rdiff-backup-
53 data' directory that stores the data of older snapshots.
54 Some months ago my main drive started having errors, so I took it out,
55 booted with a CD, renamed the volume group of the backup disk to that of
56 the original one ("vgrename backup system"), and that was all. Using RAID
57 would have been even easier, but does not help when I accidentally remove
58 a file, or want a file as it was a whiel ago.
59 Keeping the older snapshots needs some extra space, but this is
60 compensated by not having to backup everything including
61 /usr/portage/distfiles, /var/tmp/portage etc.
62
63 Wonko