From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] kde 4.11.2, akonadi & Kmail2 problems (retrieving folder contents please wait)
Date: Thu, 26 Dec 2013 13:17:51
1 On Thursday 26 Dec 2013 12:02:13 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On 25/12/2013 16:19, Mick wrote:
3 > > I really sympathise with you Alex because I have been through similar
4 > > pains myself on one of my machines. That was enough of a lesson for me
5 > > not to allow this piece of ... to mess up any other boxen. I'm still on
6 > > kmail-1.13.7 and having thoughts of migrating to T'bird.
7 >
8 > +1
9 >
10 > I ran into this too in the kde-4.4 era (when kmail2 was showing first
11 > signs of being releasable) and I honestly have not seen any signs since
12 > that the kmail devs have any clue at all. This mailing list has many
13 > stories of folks experiencing data loss when they just follow the
14 > instructions.
15 >
16 > Nowadays I use Tbird and all issues just go away.
17 >
18 > It's unbelievable the chaos kamil2 can inflict on a system, and the
19 > worst is that everything they do is a complete 100% already-solved
20 > system, there's nothing new in it - it does mail and contacts plus a few
21 > other bits! Classic case of 2nd major project syndrome (read mythical
22 > man Month if you don't get the reference)
23
24 I don't know to what extend the concept of 'Google for the desktop' at the
25 hey-days of Web 2.0 made devs think that running a mysql database on a desktop
26 machine to store meta-tags on everything a user possessed was a 'great idea!'
27 Perhaps there are users who decide to click on the desktop to search for their
28 files, emails, contacts and what not to justify taking the desktop development
29 in this direction. None of the people I know do this, nor do I. Until
30 Alzheimer's sets in I tend to use my brain to search and find things, where I
31 have placed them contextually within my cognitive map. So far this works fine
32 for me - well, most of the time. :p So clearly the bloatware direction taken
33 by the KDE devs is not suitable for me and my immediate needs and that's one
34 of the reasons I use Enlightenment.
35
36 Irrespective of this, the functionality of semantic desktop search, when I
37 tried it, drove me insane (e.g. it would launch Skype to dial the telephone
38 number of on of my address book contacts I searched on, instead of creating a
39 new mail message).
40
41 Now, if I can only wean myself off kmail-1 before it is removed from portage
42 ...
45 Regards,
46 Mick