From: Trenton Adams <trenton.d.adams@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] no shell permission denied?
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 05:40:37
1 Hi everyone,
2
3 I just re-installed my system because all of a sudden I started
4 getting the following...
5
6 [15:44 root@livecd /] # su - trenta
7 Cannot execute /bin/bash: Permission denied
8
9 In addition, I am also unable to login from the console, or X. I get
10 "no shell: Permission Denied"
11
12 I'm starting to wonder if I'm getting a trojan somehow, because I'm
13 getting this on two gentoo boxes.
14
15 The last time this happened, it was shortly after loading pl2303,
16 usbserial, or minicom. I know this *NOW* because I just finished
17 re-installing my system, and decided that I would try the /dev/ttyUSB0
18 again with minicom, as I got some electronic stuff to play with
19 recently, which requires RS232 com ports. But, this is only the case
20 on one system, not both.
21
22 Now I'm a little ticked off because it took me awhile to get my system
23 up and running, given all the packages I needed to install.
24
25 Keep in mind that I restored my home directory and such, so I know
26 it's not anything in my profile that could cause this. Also, all
27 services that try and startup with anything other than root get this
28 as well.
29
30 Any ideas on what the heck is going on with my gentoo systems? I
31 don't want to reinstall yet again, only to find I'm having the same
32 problem.
33
34 I'm thinking there may be a bug in the gentoo portage somewhere that
35 is causing this, because I'm positive that I haven't changed any
36 permissions on any files.
39 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list