From: Ryan Sims <rwsims@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What to do if packages are old?
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 18:01:34
1 On 11/30/06, Hans de Hartog <dehartog@××××××.com> wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I'm currently evaluating some exotic packages in the portage tree
5 > and found out that they're almost 2 years old, don't compile or
6 > crash immediately.
7 > When I go to their home page or forums, I see that lots of new
8 > versions have been released.
9 >
10 > What to do about this? I'm not going back to the early 90's to
11 > play around with tarballs, ./configure, make && make install and
12 > after a few months end up in the hell of shared library
13 > dependencies and systems being polluted beyond repair.
14 >
15 > After all, that's why I've choosen Gentoo in the first place.
16 >
17 > Should I
18 > - kindly ask somebody to do something about it?
19 > - try to make an ebuild from a tarball?
20 > - something else?
21 >
22 > Thanks for your advice!
23 > Hans.
24 > --
25 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
29 The s.o.p., I believe, is to check for bugs asking for new ebuilds,
30 failing that, file one yourself, failing that, create an ebuild
31 (probably using the old one as a guide), and submit it. If you get
32 all the way to step 3, email me off list, I might be willing to help
33 with some ebuild writing.
34
35 You could also check and see if newer versions are keyword-masked or
36 hard-masked, or see if they're in an overlay somewhere.
37
38 Please correct if I'm wrong.
39 --
40 Ryan W Sims