From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] rotating backup script
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2017 14:00:46
1 On Tue, Mar 7, 2017 at 12:04 AM, <thelma@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > I was looking at this rotating backup script
3 >
4 > source:
5 > https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/34970-how-to-create-rotating-backups-of-files
8 If you're looking for rotating backup solution based on rsync I'd take
9 a look at rsnapshot. It is in the Gentoo repo, and it has been
10 completely dependable in my experience.
11
12 You get the same kind of storage you'd expect with plain rsync (just a
13 replica directory tree that you can freely read, cp from, etc).
14 However, it does stuff like ensure backups are complete before
15 rotating them in, handling the rotation itself, and also linking
16 incremental backups with hard-links to reduce storage. It isn't quite
17 de-duplication but it gets you 90% of the benefit vs having a bunch of
18 complete backup directories that each take up the capacity of a full
19 backup. Basically it copies the last backup using hard links, then
20 rsyncs over that. The result is what looks like a bunch of full
21 backups but without all the space use.
22
23 If you're looking for something even more space-efficient that is
24 still based on rsync but which does not store its files as a simple
25 replica directory tree then look at duplicity, which is also in the
26 Gentoo repo. It stores the data in compact archive files like most
27 other backup solutions, but it uses librsync to do most of the heavy
28 lifting. If 1kb changes inside the middle of a 1TB file it only
29 stores the extra 1kb, just as rsync would only transfer the 1kb. It
30 also has a bunch of backend options, including a few cloud services
31 like S3. For remote backups it is pretty smart about how it stores
32 metadata vs data so that if the local cache gets out of sync it can
33 just re-fetch the metadata from the cloud without having to retrieve
34 the actual backup data, and it supports gpg.
35
36 I personally use both right now. High-value files are saved using
37 duplicity to an S3 backend, fully gpg encrypted. Since I like to mess
38 with zfs/btrfs I also keep a full replica of those drives locally on
39 ext4 using rsnapshot. This is very easy to restore should btrfs eat
40 my data (and I've made use of it twice).
41
42 Rolling your own can certainly be an educational experience, but IMO
43 it is unnecessary. Of course, be sure to test recovery no matter how
44 you end up setting everything up.
47 Rich