From: reader@×××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: smoothest way to jump from 2006 to 2008
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 22:32:52
1 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> writes:
2
3 >> I'd like to jump an 2006 install up to 2008. I've never made that
4 >> big an update without a fresh install.
5 >
6 > There's no such thing as a "2006 install". What does exist, is the
7 > collection of packages that were on the LiveCDs released in 2006. It's
8
9 symantics...
10
11 Here is the story behind my phraseology... I've tried 4-5 times to
12 build a vmware gentoo install hosted on vista home premium. Using 2008
13 install media.
14
15 I cannot seem to get past a kernel panic that appears to be expecting
16 an intramfs (You may remember this from a previous thread) After hand
17 rolling 3 different kernels and trying genkernal all.... its all ended
18 in the same kernel panic.
19
20 So.... tryin to slip in the back way I found a gentoo vmware appliance
21 online .. downloaded and fired it up on vista. It boots and runs with
22 no problems. Only thing is it is built on 2006 package set.
23
24 I want to update .. rebuild ... renew ... go forward to ... advance
25 upon .. [or some other preferred terminology] the 2008 pkg set, and
26 not loose the ability to boot the vmware gentoo os on a vista host..
27
28 So far I've sinced and upped the profile to 2007 and am now working
29 toward update world... there are a number of packages blocking others
30 so I'm working my way thru those right now.
31
32 I think I can get to 2007 by hook or by crook but I'm leary that those
33 kernels are going to break the vmware bootability on vista... we'll
34 see.
35
36 One blockage that looks to be particularly troublesome is:
37 Portage blocking bash
38
39 bash blocking portage.
40
41 Usually I've found with blockages... I can unmerge one of the
42 offenders and get on with update world.
43
44 Unmerging portage is obviously a non-starter and I suspect unmerging
45 bash will have serious repercussions too. I thought I might emerge
46 ksh and make it roots shell then unmerge bash and see if I can proceed
47 with update world, and get bash back further along.
50 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list