From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Is wrong 4k sector alignment still an issue?
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2012 02:01:31
1 On 27/06/12 01:22, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Wed, 27 Jun 2012 01:06:53 +0300, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
3 >
4 >>> I'm getting a 2TB drive which uses 4kB sectors instead of 512 byte
5 >>> ones. I suppose by now everything will "just work" and the various
6 >>> tools will now by default create correctly aligned partitions?
7 >>
8 >> Thanks everyone for the comments. I'm using cfdisk, since I find it's
9 >> the easiest CLI partitioner (fdisk and parted don't offer menus but you
10 >> need to type commands; I hate that).
11 >
12 > If you use a GPT partition table, you can use cgdisk and banish the
13 > abominations of extended and logical partitions at the same time.
14
15 OK, I now have the new disk. Unfortunately, it turns out that GPT is
16 not an option, since Grub can't dual boot an UEFI/GPT installed Windows
17 7 (you can't install Windows on a GPT disk if you don't perform a UEFI
18 install of Windows.) And if Grub can do it, then it's much more
19 difficult to set up compared to a BIOS boot. I surely don't have a clue
20 as to how to do that.
21
22 So using MS-DOS partition tables in 2012 is still needed. Hooray!
23
24 PS:
25 And don't get me started on the fact that moving my Gentoo install to
26 the new disk is as simple as "rsync -a -x / /mnt/targetpartition" and
27 only takes 10 minutes, while Windows has to be cloned using partition
28 imaging and modifying partition position offsets so installing it from
29 scratch is actually easier. Sigh...