From: Norberto Bensa <nbensa@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo's advantage: "optimized for your system" -- huh?
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2009 23:02:44
1 On Tue, Feb 3, 2009 at 8:39 PM, Grant Edwards <grante@××××.com> wrote:
2 > AFAICT, the "performance" benefit due to compiler optimization
3 > is practically nil in real-world usage.
4
5 It used to make a difference, but not anymore with today microprocessors.
8 > In my experience the huge benefit of source-based distros such
9 > as Gentoo is elimination of the library dependency-hell that
10 > mires other binary-based distros.
11
12 maybe redhat had that problem, but others (debian based distros for
13 example) doesn't have dep hell AFAICS (I run Debian and Ubuntu based
14 servers and desktops)
17 > The second benefit is that with Gentoo, upgrading a system
18 > actually works over the long-run. With RedHat/Mandrake, things
19 > would gradually deteriorate to the point where the system was
20 > unmaintainable,
21
22 Same point. Maybe only a problem with RH.
25 > The third main benefit I've seen is that there are vastly more
26 > packages available for Gentoo.
27
28 Hm.. Depends on what packages you're interested. You have no
29 commercial support if you run Gentoo from -for example- VMware.
32 > Putting together and
33 > maintaining an ebuild appears to take a lot less work than
34 > putting together and maintaining a binary RPM package.
35
36 Maybe. I haven't tried to make a RPM package, but I tried DEB. It's
37 almost as easy as with Gentoo.
40 > Are the real benefits of Gentoo too hard to explain to the
41 > unwashed masses, so instead they're told the fairy tale about
42 > imporoved performance?
43
44 Gentoo has -from my point of view- only one benefit: if you're a
45 developer, you'll love Gentoo as every dev-dependency is already
46 installed. Other than that, I see none.
47
48 Now, if Gentoo devs could be as kind as -for example- Ubuntu devs,
49 that would rock. But they aren,t and so -after 7 years- I'm looking
50 for another distro to migrate to. Kubuntu is one of my favorites. I'm
51 testing Fedora and openSuSE. Who will win?
52
53 Gentoo just doesn't make sense anymore for me - unless you're a masochist :)