From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] About "make install all" when kernel building
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2016 23:12:12
1 I have a newish install I've been running for a while.
2
3 Today I added a setting to the kernel and rebuilt.
4
5 The final move I made on the kernel move was
6
7 "make install all"
8
9 No looking at the /boot/grub/grub.conf all I find is the example file
10 that comes with install.
11
12 If there was old version before calling "make install all" , it has
13 been removed I guess.
14
15 I've created a version from a very old one I had in some very old
16 backup and wondering if all the options on the kernel line are still
17 valid. (I do have the VESA ahd vesafb (frame buffer) and mtrr stuff
18 checked in the kernel config). And "root" is at /dev/hda4
19
20 ,----
21 | default 0
22 | timeout 10
23 | splashimage=(hd0,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
24 |
25 | title Gentoo Linux 4.1.6
26 | root (hd0,0)
27 | kernel /boot/vmlinuz-4.1.6-gentoo root=/dev/hda4 vga=0x31A video=vesafb:mtrr,ywrap
28 `----
29
30 I'm pretty confident of everything but the kernel line.
31
32 Before I reboot, find it fails to boot, and have lots of huffing and
33 puffing starting up with grub commands or having to go back to an
34 install .ISO to get insdide, I hoped someone here could tell me if my
35 grub.conf is likely to work