From: Mike Edenfield <kutulu@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] mdev: Has anybody managed to get the keyboard and mouse to work under X?
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 21:16:55
1 > From: Alan Mackenzie [mailto:acm@×××.de]
2 > Sent: Wednesday, March 14, 2012 11:21 AM
5 > As I've said a few times in the current threads, the only thing preventing
6 me
7 > from moving fully onto mdev is not having a working keyboard and mouse
8 > (evdev??) under X.
9 >
10 > Has anybody else tried this, and if so, what results have you had?
11
12 I have not tried it since they removed the HAL dependency, but I believe you
13 just need to compile xorg with USE=-udev and put the correct device
14 information into the xorg.conf file.
15
16 What X uses udev for is to enumeration your devices when it starts, and
17 associate those devices automatically with the right drivers. From what
18 Pandu has said, X cannot be made to poll mdev for the information it needs
19 because the conversion is "backwards" from mdev's perspective: instead of
20 mdev sending new-device events out to listening userspace applications, X is
21 expecting to initiate a query into the device manager, which mdev cannot do.
22
23 However, if you configure that all manually then X has no more need of a
24 device manager, udev or otherwise.
25
26 --Mike