From: Iain Buchanan <iaindb@××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: I want to get excited, but I just *know* they're going to mess it up...
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 14:11:14
1 On Fri, 2010-01-29 at 10:00 +0000, Stroller wrote:
2 > On 29 Jan 2010, at 05:43, Iain Buchanan wrote:
3 >
4 > > They got it right for being open to OSS, but they got it wrong with
5 > > the
6 > > word "cloud"...
7 > >
8 > > http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2008/sep/29/cloud.computing.richard.stallman
11 > Seems like Stallman's objections don't apply because the proposal is
12 > that they own their own cloud.
13
14 I don't think his objections are just related to public vs private. As
15 Neil said, there's the security problem to begin with, where one large
16 government data centre has more data to compromise that a small one...
17
18 > I.E. the use of the word "cloud" is just buzzwordology to gain
19 > approval & acceptance.
20
21 ... Another problem is the use of the word "cloud" when already we don't
22 know exactly what they mean by it (it sounds like a manager buzz word to
23 me) so they're going to have trouble defining it to themselves, and
24 other govt departments.
25
26 But the principle still remains that they're handing over locally served
27 (ie maybe a server, maybe a desktop) data to a central "cloud" that will
28 put its own limits on security, size, etc. Not to mention the
29 separation of distance. No matter how good your network link is, it's
30 not as good as your SATA interface! And at the worst of times you may
31 loose not only your data, but your ability to create new data!
32
33 > One could weigh the pros & cons of using regional data centres for
34 > this, versus a server room in the basement of the individual
35 > government buildings in Swansea (DVLA), Bristol (TV licensing) &
36 > wherever, but I just feel too pessimistic about this today to feel
37 > it's worth it.
38
39 I'm all for data centres, since they can put massive CPU and storage
40 volumes at the other end of the network link for you to work with
41 (backups, web servers, etc) but it becomes very problematic when you use
42 a web browser to write an office document.
43
44 > Stroller.
49 I didn't like the play, but I saw it under adverse conditions. The curtain
50 was up.