From: BRM <bm_witness@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] LVM for data drives but not the OS
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2011 13:22:25
1 ----- Original Message ----
2
3 > From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
4 > On Thu, 07 Apr 2011 05:22:41 -0500, Dale wrote:
5 > > I want to do it this way because I don't trust LVM enough to put my OS
6 > > on. Just my personal opinion on LVM.
7 > This doesn't make sense. Your OS can be reinstalled in an hour or two,
8 > your photos etc. are irreplaceable.
11 Makes perfect sense to me as well.
12
13 Having installed LVM - and then removed it due to issues; namely, the fact that
14 one of the hard drives died taking out the whole LVM group, leaving the OS
15 unbootable, and not easily fixable. There was a thread on that (started by me) a
16 while back (over a year).
17
18 So, perhaps if I had a RAID to underly so I could mirror drives under LVM for
19 recovery I'd move to it again. But otherwise it is just a PITA waiting to
20 happen.
21
22 Ben