From: "Bo Ørsted Andresen" <bo.andresen@××××.dk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] FW: mail-mta/exim (is blocking mail-mta/ssmtp-2.61-r2) (more info added)
Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 03:09:33
1 On Thursday 31 May 2007 04:37:52 Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
2 > If it's really useful, it should be chmod'd +x and installed or linked
3 > into /usr/sbin.  I can do that myself (in that case /usr/local/sbin), but
4 > such wonderful utilities shouldn't be hidden. :)
5
6 I can't really disagree with that, heh. It has been added to the faq though,
7 however, it won't go online till the next release.
8
9 > > It does still lack a couple of features though.
10 > > Namely --library and the ability to pick another version when the ebuild
11 > > for an installed version has been removed. At least the latter is soon to
12 > > come.
13 >
14 > I noticed it was also trying to reinstall all my binary-only packages:
15 > sun-jdk, blackdown-jdk, skype, and emul-linux-x86-compat.  I guess
16 > revdep-rebuild has some blacklist that prevents it from doing so.
17
18 Ah yeah, forgot that one. It doesn't parse the variables that control where
19 revdep-rebuild should and shouldn't look and what libs it should ignore.
20 Instead it iterates over each installed package and runs ldd on every *.la
21 and *.so* file.
22
23 > > But at least it will never use the horrible hack that revdep-rebuild uses
24 > > with --package-names because of the lack of support for the
25 > > =category/package-version:slot syntax in portage-2.0* which it still
26 > > supports.. :)
27 >
28 > You mean that portage actually supports slot deps now?
29
30 Yes. There shouldn't have been an equal sign though. Using it in the tree is
31 against policy, however, until we get an EAPI bump. But the new
32 python-updater does take advantage of it and drops the horrible hacks it used
33 to use. Also because portage has become much better at figuring out the build
34 order with --deep when handed a list of broken packages in random order.
35
36 Really dropping the horrible hacks in revdep-rebuild would be easy when just
37 raising the dependency on portage to >=2.1.2.
40 Bo Andresen