From: covici@××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: problem which makes gnome unusable
Date: Sat, 07 Nov 2015 02:07:24
1 walt <w41ter@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > On Fri, 06 Nov 2015 17:26:43 -0500
4 > covici@××××××××××.com wrote:
5 >
6 > > walt <w41ter@×××××.com> wrote:
7 > >
8 > > > On Fri, 06 Nov 2015 14:45:43 -0500
9 > > > covici@××××××××××.com wrote:
10 > > >
11 > > > > Hi. I am having a very bad problem which makes gnome unusable --
12 > > > > once I get into the virtual console where the xserver is
13 > > > > displaying gnome, console 12 in my case, I can never get out of
14 > > > > that console -- control-alt-f1 or anything does not work. If I
15 > > > > try to ssh in from somewhere else, I cannot stop gdm because the
16 > > > > x server will not stop -- even kill -9 will not stop it and I
17 > > > > have to reboot the system.
18 > > >
19 > > > The part about kill -9 failing is exactly the problem I had with the
20 > > > 3.18.x kernel series a while ago. I know this problem must be
21 > > > hardware specific because some distros are still shipping 3.18
22 > > > kernels as the default, and I'll bet others in this mailing list
23 > > > are using it without problems too. I had some scary problems with
24 > > > that kernel version that were very difficult to diagnose until I
25 > > > just rebooted with an older kernel and the scary problems
26 > > > vanished. The 4.2 series seems okay so far on my VMs. (Even my
27 > > > gentoo VMs had some minor problems with 3.18.x)
28 > >
29 > > I am using 4.1.9 from gentoo sources -- do I need to downgrade maybe
30 > > the server and nvidia-drivers?
31 >
32 > I think downgrading xorg and a video driver sounds more complicated
33 > than trying a different kernel, but you're in a better position to know
34 > that than I am. Depends on how many packages you changed just before
35 > you noticed the problem. If you've been running kernel 4.1.9 for a
36 > while with no problems, and you just recently upgraded xorg/nvidia,
37 > then maybe that would be the simpler thing to try.
38 >
39 > If you still have some older kernels available, I personally would
40 > reboot with one of those and see if the nvidia driver will compile with
41 > that version. (You may need to reinstall/reconfigure the older kernel
42 > sources if you've already removed them.) A big PITA either way :(
43
44 I am running 4.1.9, but there is a 4.1.12 and I may go to that and try
45 again, but you are correct, its a pita either way. In this last update,
46 I could not keep the same x server and nvidia drivers I had which worked
47 fine, due to portage not letting the update go through because of
48 various slot conflicts -- very annoying.
52 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
53 How do
54 you spend it?
55
56 John Covici