From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] untaring backup as a test
Date: Thu, 08 May 2008 02:49:53
1 Hi,
2 I'd just like to confirm this before I make a mistake and hurt my system.
3
4 The existing system drive is /dev/sda:
5
6 /dev/sda3 is root
7 /dev/sda1 is boot
8
9 That's all there is.
10
11 Using the stage4 tar I idea I added a drive which is /dev/sdb and
12 has these partitions of interest
13
14 /dev/sdb3 will be new root
15 /dev/sdb1 will be new boot
16 /dev/sdb5 will be new var
17 /dev/sdb6 will be new video
18
19 I've mounted the new drive under /mnt like this:
20
21 /dev/sdb3 /mnt/backups [[[This will be the new / ]]]
22 /dev/sdb1 /mnt/backups/boot
23 /dev/sdb5 /mnt/backups/var
24 /dev/sdb6 /mnt/backups/video
25
26 So this essentially creates a new file system that will eventually
27 take over when I boot from this drive tomorrow. (Hopefully)
28
29 Now, in the video directory I have my stage4 tar file which I want to
30 untar into this new drive and not, hopfully, over my old drive. Will
31 the following work?
32
33 cd /mnt/backups
34 tar xjpf video/Sector9-stage4-2008.05.07-custom.tar.bz2
35
36 I'm just trying to be really careful here. I think this is all an
37 extension of how we build a Gentoo machine by untaring a stage3 file
38 but I'm doing it on a system that's live and I don't want to mess up
39 the exiting drive.
40
41 If this is correct then I'll chroot into the new environment for
42 testing, adding grub, etc., and then do a BIOS change to boot off of
43 the second drive and hopefully be live.
44
45 Thanks,
46 Mark
47 --