From: thelma@×××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] encrypting file for Windows users
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2017 00:18:02
1 On 04/23/2017 05:12 PM, Mick wrote:
2 > On Sunday 23 Apr 2017 16:42:12 thelma@×××××××××××.com wrote:
3 >> I'm looking for a solution to encrypt and attachment to Windows users.
4 >> gpg does not support "sda" Self Decrypting Archives.
5 >>
6 >> Occasionally I have to send an attachment via email and would prefer if
7 >> the file was encrypted. Asking Windows users to use PGP is almost
8 >> impossible.
9 >> Sending them txt.exe and asking the to run it will not go well.
12 > What is it you want to encrypt? An email? An attachment? Both?
13 >
14 > For email inc. attachments you can use SSL Certificates with S/MIME. MS
15 > Outlook can handle S/MIME encrypted emails natively and you can get SSL
16 > Certificates from a variety of CAs, some of them free for personal use. You
17 > can always use self-signed certificates, but initially you will have to guide
18 > your recipients to store the self-signed certificates and mark them as trusted
19 > on their PCs.
20 >
21 > Alternatively, you can install gpg4Win on MS PCs and use that to exchange PGP
22 > encrypted messages and attachments. Your recipients may need some training to
23 > familiarize themselves with the gpg4Win interface, but it is not that
24 > dissimilar to MS Outlook's S/MIME GUI.
25 >
26 > Thunderbird can deal with both PGP & S/MIME using Enigmail.
27 >
28 > If you only need to encrypt attachments (files/directories) besides the above
29 > solutions (gpg4win will also encrypt/decrypt files separately to emails), you
30 > can use zip/7zip and encrypt with a symmetric key the contents of the
31 > generated archive. You will need of course to share the encryption password
32 > for the zipped archive with your recipients securely off line.
33 >
34 > PS. 7z can create self-extracting archives and I had looked into this in the
35 > past, but I was not able to make it work off the peg in Gentoo. It kept
36 > asking about /usr/lib64/p7zip/7z.sfx which is not installed by default with
37 > 7zip. After some failed attempts I gave up and sought alternatives.
38
39 I think mostly they will be sending some pdf files + some images.
40 After sending the encrypted file they will follow with a call to provide
41 "password" this shouldn't be a problem.
42
43 I'll try 7zip, see if it works already.
46 Thelma