From: justin <jlec@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How's the openrc update going for everyone?
Date: Wed, 11 May 2011 05:40:12
1 On 11/05/11 04:07, Jim Burwell wrote:
2 > On 5/10/2011 18:25, Indi wrote:
3 >> On Wed, May 11, 2011 at 12:20:02AM +0200, Paul Hartman wrote:
4 >>> On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 4:55 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >>>> Hi folks,
6 >>>>
7 >>>> I was curious, what's the results of the openrc update for people that have
8 >>>> done theirs? Is it pretty simple and "just works" or are there issues? I'm
9 >>>> mostly interested in x86 and amd64 since that is what I have. Just a simple
10 >>>> works here and I'm X86 or amd64 would be nice. List issues if you had any.
11 >>> I'm using ~amd64 and upgraded long, long, long ago. No problems at all
12 >>> during or after the upgrade. I would expect it to be even smoother
13 >>> process now than it was then.
14 >>>
15 >>> IIRC the biggest deal with the baselayout/openrc upgrade was that you
16 >>> must update a bunch of config files, which are not necessarily all
17 >>> blind/trivial updates. Failing to update them could make rebooting a
18 >>> sad experience.
19 >> Same here, on x86 and ppc. Most of it was handled automatically and
20 >> the rest via dispatch-conf. Works just fine.
21 >>
22 > Went pretty smoothly for me following the upgrade guide. I have a
23 > gentoo based iptables firewall with a fairly complicated network setup
24 > with postup() functions. I made the mistake of taking out the BASH
25 > syntax (the surrounding parens, etc) on my postup() function based on
26 > the guide, wondering if it'd work or not, and sure enough it wanted the
27 > old BASH style syntax for those functions, but the new style (w/o
28 > parens, and quoted blocks with CRs) on the "normal" sections.
29 >
30 > They should probably make a note of this in the config guide.
31 >
32 > It's good to see they added in support for iproute2 rules natively
33 > instead of requiring a postup() function. I'd like to see them add a
34 > similar functionality for adding static ARP entries too (right now using
35 > my own postup() for that).
38 Just file a request on bugzilla. They have to know what you like to have
39 included.
40
41 justin