From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Cleaning up world
Date: Thu, 21 May 2009 22:23:32
1 On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 5:11 PM, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 19 May 2009, Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 >
4 >> Edit the world file and remove every version number in that file if
5 >> present. You don;t need it and portage is infinitely better at tracking it
6 >> than you are. Then remove everything with a category ending in "lib", these
7 >> rarely need to be in world.
8 >
9 > Arrrgh! Does this mean that I shouldn't have all these in there:
10 >
11 > media-libs/libdvdcss
12 > media-libs/libdvdnav
13 > media-libs/libdvdread
14 > media-libs/libflash
15 > media-libs/libmodplug
16 > media-libs/libmp4v2
17 > media-libs/libmpcdec
18 > media-libs/libmpeg2
19 > media-libs/libmpeg3
20 > media-libs/libogg
21 > media-libs/libpng
22 > media-libs/libquicktime
23 > media-libs/libsamplerate
24 > media-libs/libsdl
25 > media-libs/libtheora
26 >
27 > Also, as you can see from media-libs/libmpeg am I having duplicate packages in
28 > there?
29
30 I think libmpeg2 and libmpeg3 are two distinct packages (2 and 3 are
31 the mpeg version and part of the library name, not the package
32 version)
33
34 and yes, those probably don't need to be there UNLESS you are a
35 developer and use them -- but if you only want libs that are required
36 by installed programs, then you most likely shouldn't have them in
37 world.