From: JDM <jdm@×××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: Gentoo <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Questions about the magic Sys Req keys
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2011 10:01:55
1 I used to get this when using ati-drivers (radeon). This has not happened for a good year though. Sysreq not responsive but you could ssh into machine. Ssh maybe worth a try. If you do not have radeon then the advise is close to meaningless.
2 JDM
3
4 -----Original Message-----
5 From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
6 Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2011 04:18:23
7 To: Gentoo User<gentoo-user@l.g.o>
8 Reply-to: gentoo-user@l.g.o
9 Subject: [gentoo-user] Questions about the magic Sys Req keys
10
11 Howdy,
12
13 I just had a hard lock up. I had a random reboot the other day while I
14 was sleeping as well. This was with gentoo-sources 2.6.39. I'm not
15 sure what caused the one the other day but I had several days of
16 uptime. The one I just had was also after a few days of uptime. I was
17 logged into KDE when EVERYTHING froze. The mouse pointer wouldn't
18 move. The clock stopped. The numlock light wouldn't even change when I
19 hit the key for it. So, X was locked up pretty good. I also couldn't
20 switch to a console either. This is the odd part. I tried to use the
21 magic Alt SysReq keys to at least try to get a reasonable shutdown.
22 They didn't work either.
23
24 So, my question is this. What kind of lock up could keep the magic keys
25 from working? This is on my new amd64 machine. It was totally stable
26 until the kernel upgrade. I think this could be a kernel issue. I
27 booted a older kernel and will test it for a few days but wanted to know
28 what kind of lockups could keep the magic keys from working. After the
29 hal/xorg deal, we all know how I hate hard resets. ;-)
30
31 Thanks much.
32
33 Dale